Tuesday, August 19, 2008
Obama
src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js">
Obama - your savior or mine, or not?
Don't get me wrong. I think he's as talented and sincere as any political candidate (fundraiser) ever was. I trust him as much as any professional speaker who relates to me on the basis of wanting to get elected. Really, he's just fabulous.
But is he going to get you to heaven? I don't think so. You want to get to heaven? Barak is not your man. For that matter, McCain is not your man either, nor was Hillary your woman. You want heaven? If you're into blowing yourself up to get there, do it when no one else is around. Otherwise, you can get there by helping someone across the street, or giving your time and money to a food pantry, or by donating a pint of blood. But you will not get to heaven simply by feeling good about someone else.
Any preacher worth his or her salt can make you feel good about almost anything, and that's what most candidates are, preachers. Not so much McCain maybe, and Hillary, she can keep trying, but Obama, he sounds so good, how can you not feel good when he talks at you? Does it really matter what he says? It just feels good the way he says it! An hour in front of Barak is like an hour at the spa or having your hair brushed. It's just like, WOW!
See Barak stride to the stage (when you are tall and skinny you can stride). Watch as Barak takes his welll-rehearsed and confident step around the speaker's stand to plant himself humbly beside it, to better share himself with you. Thrill to see Barak gaze out beyond the front row into the heavenly cloud hovering over his worshipers. Your father, your mother, your savior, Barak!
And watch for my old 350 MHZ PC on EBay. It looks brand new too.
I happen to believe that Obama has good intentions, but are they mine? As a candidate, he sure wants me to think so. And so far, his intentions sound a lot like mine - no more war, health care for all and affordable housing. But here's the rub. How to get it done? Once elected, he will have to do more than speak. He won't be able to continue rattling around the county from one podium to another brandishing his well oiled oratory skills. He will have to actually do something, do something more than spend his first term as President, as he has as Senator, living in a perennial campaign bubble. He will have to address issues such as what many of the 50% of kids in our major urban centers, who are not finishing High School, will be doing besides keeping prison guards employed. He will need a plan for Iraq, if not the war to end all wars, then the one without an apparent end.
As for me, I remain firmly on the fence. Obama is an intriguing candidate (yes, I got sucked in too), and McCain, I admire him because he is not a polished speaker and he doesn't appear to think that being one is relevant. And as for you, I don't care who you vote for, but know that when I see you fervently applauding your candidate in a frenzy of mindless adoration, you sicken me.
src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js">
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment